This Hong Kong Dragon Coin, dated 1867, immerses us in the history of Hong Kong and its complex relationship with both China and the West. On the front side, we find a Chinese Dragon in a garter. But the stack side is no less interesting: in the center, we find the crowned Great Britain Royal Arms, surrounded by the French proverb "Honi soit qui mal y pense" (May he be shamed who thinks badly of it), which is the motto of the British chivalric Order of the Garter. On the circumference are the inscriptions that define this coin: "ONE TAEL SHANGHAI - HONG KONG - 1867".
At that time indeed, the recently opened Hong Kong Mint was oversized for the needs of the city. It was therefore proposed to strike Chinese coins and offer them to the Central Government in Beijing, with the aim of making the investment profitable and doing business with China. After all, at that time there were no modern facilities in China in terms of a mint. That is why the Hong Kong mint was used to strike coins to Shanghai standards. Unfortunately, the Chinese authorities decided to reject the proposal and that is why there are so few coins like this one in circulation today.
- Highly detailed
- Carefully crafted artwork
- Material: Alloy with Silver plated finish
- Diameter: 88 mm (3.46 in)
- Width: 3 mm (0.12 in)
- STANDARD SHIPPING IS OFFERED
Frequently Asked Questions:
We deliver anywhere in the world for free.
- We ship the package in 3 to 5 business days.
- Then, the delivery takes 10 to 20 days depending on your location ( up to one month for Hawaii).
- A tracking number is attached to the shipment confirmation email to follow your package on your national post office website (USPS for the USA).
- Delivery occurs from Monday to Saturday from 9am to 5pm. If you are not there, the package will be left in your mailbox or you will have to pick it up at the local post office.
Yes! We give you up to 15 days to return your item if it does not satisfy you. Simply contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Replacements are free of charge and at no additional cost.
- All items must be returned in their original condition, with all parts and tags attached.
- Refunds will be made within 7 days of receipt of the return package.
Yes! Your payment is protected by our payment processor and encrypted using SSL protocol, which means that your information will be unreadable and unusable by hackers and identity thieves.
No! We at Dragon Vibe® are as concerned about our privacy as you are. We do not and never will give or sell our customers' information to anyone. Ever.